Monday, December 10, 2007

What Would You Do?


Faithful blog readers know about the drama of getting rid of old couch. Well, I have a new sofa-related dilemma and I'm curious as to how you would handle it.

Old couch lasted 11 years in pretty good shape (we had it for 17, so there you go). New couch sprang a problem within a couple of months. The stitching on one of the cushions is completely coming undone. I'm not a terrific seamstress to begin with, and it's a little tricky. I could never get the piping to look right. So, after procrastinating for a bit, and watching the problem worsen, I finally managed to call customer service and talk to them.

Turns out, they'll happily send me a new cushion in 3 months, which is longer to wait than I've had the couch. Or, they'll deliver a new couch next Wednesday. Yep, you read that right, a whole brand-spanking-new couch.

There seems to be some sort of "for a lack of a nail" parable here. It seems very wasteful to me to get a whole new couch for something that I thought could be fixed in the first place (by someone who just sews better than I do). On the other hand, I'm having a houseful of company for the holidays and I need them to be able to sit. And maybe the whole couch is a lemon.

What would you do?

6 comments:

David Baril Jr. said...

well, the way i look at it, they will bring you a new couch and they will repair the old one and sell it to someone else. you can feel bad about having a lemon, you can feel bad about giving it back, but you should feel bad about buying poorly made products. i hope you do take the new one and i hope it lasts longer.

Jen said...

Get the whole enchilada. It's not like you're giving them back a nasty old used couch. It's new and will be complete with another cushion.

They'll probably just resell it at a discount as slightly used. And probably to someone who couldn't afford the new one, so everyone wins.

hoppers said...

can we do the contest about how long it takes for someone to pick up this couch as well?

Anonymous said...

I would carve a stamp commemorating the the whole story ... hide it in the couch ... and call for the new one to be sent post haste!

Puddle Splasher said...

I like hoppers idea. So I suggest you set the new sofa out at the curb on the day they are supposed to pick it up to replace it. My guess is it will last 28 seconds... unless the brakes are bad on the car that's picking it up and they have to back up... then it could be 42 seconds. What will I win?
Puddle Splasher

Anonymous said...

oh that is too funny, yes a sad sate of the workld when getting a new one is quicker than a cushion. go green, hmm.
So what did you decide to do?
pilgrims