Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ike is Yike!

To say that we're a little nervous about Ike is putting it mildly. I moved here in 1985, so I've never been through a direct hurricane. Mr. Dewberry was here for Alicia and they lost 4 trees on their property, but in general it wasn't too terrible.

We've moved all the projectiles out of the backyard. We can't really board up because we have a brick house with aluminum-framed windows. I have plenty of water, food and batteries. We're far enough inland that there won't be any storm surge, so we mainly have to worry about wind and downed trees. I fully expect our power to go out (we lose it fairly easily in a thunderstorm). The length of the power outage estimate post-storm will determine whether we stay here or leave for a while.

Just so you know, the nightmare scenario for Houston is a Freeport landfall. That is the scenario that will push the most water into Galveston Bay and involves the most potential for catastrophic flooding. My aunt and other relatives who live in the Southeast area of Houston (Pasadena and Clear Lake) have all evacuated, but emergency managers asked those in my area to stay put. Because storm surge is what is so deadly, I think most people heeded those warnings and respected the utter importance of getting those on the coast out.

Every mile further east of Galveston Ike hits helps Houston. Not that I wish his wrath on those further east of us, but there are just so many people in our metro area.

See you on the other side & I will try and post an update afterwards. Peace.

7 comments:

Blue Butterfly said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. here's hoping it will be over quickly.

Lucy Locket said...

DB-
I hope you and your family stay safe and sound.

Lucy Locket

Mark said...

Be Safe!
We are thinking about you here in Santa Fe.
lionsmane

Lisa said...

I was thinking about you guys and hoping you were all right.

Keep us posted, if you can, okay>

John and Diane said...

Dewberry-
Best of luck to you and everyone in Houston. Please keep us posted if you're able to-
D

Anonymous said...

The good news is when my power is out, I 'll be carving some new lb stamps. Also, Pastry Princess and I will probably be playing a little death match uno.

All broaded up and ready to take on IKE.

KEEP SAFE -Tajas Angel

Anonymous said...

Hike with Ike...
What no extreme letterboxing?
Tejas Angel and I are planning on
Standing in front yards with big nets ready to catch flying lbs. LOL
And only kidding!
See you on the other side.
Pastry Princess