Saturday, May 19, 2007

Art Cars









Allright, so this isn't exactly letterboxing related...except in a dream way. The proliferation of art cars to me perfectly exemplifies the wacky part of Houston I love. Someone has a dream (a vision) and then they make it happen (no zoning helps). Similar to letterboxing in some ways, except usually on a much larger scale. You used to see this all over town at odd places like Hog Heaven (a purple house dedicated to pigs), the Beer Can House and more. Lots of the physical tribute locations (like the OK Corral) have disappeared because their owners died or they were too expensive to maintain, but the mobile masterpieces continue! The photo above is one of Scrap Daddy's creations. His studio is near our house (as is the art car museum), and I've been scouting for an appropriate location nearby to stash a box.


I am also depressed that the original Pig Stand on Washington Avenue closed recently. I may do a RIP, pig box at nearby Glenwood or Washington Cemetery. I should replace my Beer Can House box too, while I'm at it. People should visit these places while they're still around and I want to encourage that.


Photos from the annual Art Car parade, this year held May 12, 2007.


No comments: