Sunday, July 08, 2007

Return of an emeny

It's baaaack!
For 37 years I thought I was immune to the effects of poison ivy. Every summer, my sister and I would go to a kids' camp in the Missouri Ozarks. She would return with a bad case, itchy, blistered and miserable. Me? Not a rash or a blister. Our family camped and hiked through dozens of National Parks, canoed on the Jack's Fork every summer....and still...no reaction. I continued hiking as an adult, in and out of the forest often. I never worried about it and took absolutely no precautions.

And then, I started letterboxing (and going off trail). Somehow, I am assuming from repeated exposure, I developed a sensitivity. The first time was a big shock as it took me a while to figure out what the rash on my legs was. I've had it a few times since then. Recent news reports of the fact that Poison Ivy is becoming more potent have filled me with dread.

Last summer was the worst. I wanted to get a box hidden in a log completely covered in PI vine. I was by myself, so I used a stick to remove the box, and one to put it back. But, probably the box itself was coated with urushiol. Anyway, I washed my hands when I got home, but I hadn't realized that I had touched the back of my head. The ensuing rash all over the back of my scalp and neck left me itchy and miserable for weeks (I wore pigtails to try and keep air on the scalp). I didn't letterbox for the bulk of the summer.

This year's version is mild, mainly limited to my right forearm (can you see me reaching down to get the box and brushing a plant? ). Thanks to liberal applications of my friends tecnu, zanfel, ice and calamine, the itch is down to a dull roar. And as it is so localized, I am far from miserable, mainly just irritated and trying hard to remember not to scratch.

Poison ivy can spring up quickly, and a previously free area can become a dense patch during the summer. As a result, I've been known to give up on a box and plan to return during the more-dormant winter instead. However, a lot of planters were like my old self, and don't know how to recognize it. Do me a favor, and visit this site...learn to avoid the leaves of three when you're planting!

In some ways, this noxious plant is kind of fascinating. It's quite simply amazing how different poison ivy plants manifest such different looks, depending on the season, the climate and the plant variation. In Houston, we have lots of vines on the trees. A great rule to remember about vines: if it's hairy, it's scary! Even in the winter...a tree hosting a vine with lots of exposed roots (resembling a shaggy beard) should be avoided.

In the meantime, pass the calydryl!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. This year I got my first case of poison ivy EVER, and I am a grandmother! I do think it has to do with going off the trail, something I never did before letterboxing. -Rose

Anonymous said...

i know i hate it too... it's anazimg how it creeps up on a person. how all the other aminals in the forest are inume to it, i'll always wonder.

Anonymous said...

My first plants were in the winter and I never thought about PI until you brought it to my attention. You were right. The park I chose is crawling PI this summer.I have made a note in my clues though.
Bailey's Bunch

hoppers said...

Thanks for the info and links to what this stuff looks like. We usually just go barreling through the foliage, now we will stop and look first. Thanks! hoppers

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is ironic... I looked up that site you linked & EEK. I had a really itchy spot on my right middle finger and also one on my left wrist. It became very clear to me after reading all the info that the "hairy" vine I moved out of my way on a Cedar tree this past weekend was poison ivy. This stuff is sooooo annoying. It kinda got all over the place. My face, ear, leg, and forearm by today. So, I went to the doctor and got a shot, steroids by mouth, anti-itch pills, and cream. Ahhh... hopefully that will work!

Very informative post!

Thanks,
Musical Frog