Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Relandscaped, AGAIN?

I'm a semi-urban letterboxer. I live inside a city, but it's semi-suburban and semi-urban around here. It means that a lot of the parks where we choose to plant are city parks (I am a no-plant-on-private-land kind of a gal). Some of these parks have nature trails, but some don't. You have to be clever with your hides and go small. I'm not sure how successful I am at urban planting, but I try.

I'm pretty sanguine about the whole planting thing. I love to carve and I like planting. I like putting my little boxes out there, and I don't get too upset when they go missing. For some of them, there's a brief moment of silence, but usually a shrug of the shoulders will suffice. And then I try to figure out whether to recarve or not (usually not). I have a long list of boxes, probably 10-15, that have been lost to urban landscaping.

Currently, in the park near my house, they've had the community service folks or prisoners (they're wearing orange jumpsuits emblazoned with Department of Corrections) removing non-native plants. The park is becoming quite denuded. I applaud this effort ('bout time!), so I'm willing to sacrifice my Rabbit House box to their efforts.

Now, I've lost another one, my Calculator Games 2 box. I liked this one and thought the hide was pretty good. But, all the foliage around the gazebo was stripped...right along with my hiding spot. All-told, I just can't believe how often urban parks are relandscaped. I just don't think I paid attention to that before when I wasn't looking for spots to hide little boxes.

1 comment:

John and Diane said...

Well, darn, I was looking forward to finding that one on our upcoming trip! Oh, well, there are still plenty more....!!!
-Astro D