Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cheap Gas! Let's Go Letterboxing?

The price of gas has hit $1.80 around here. I was writing this morning on my other blog about economic issues and how I feel like I need to cut back on expenses. But cheap gas prices are almost a bonus. You know it won't last, so you kind of want to take advantage of the lull.

I got used to being more mindful about how much we drove and we were less likely to strike out for a distant single letterbox (much as we love our road-tripping). But now, I feel that we can be a little more adventuresome and indulge our penchant for exploration. We're going to Austin next week to see family, but I thought we might have a letterboxing day on Saturday. We have absolutely NOTHING scheduled on Saturday (and after a crazy fall of sports and Ike, that feels amazing). So, I'm looking within a 90 mile radius for somewhere fun to go for a daytrip.

What about you? Are lower gas prices leading to more letterboxing adventures? Or are you still in entrenched mode? Or maybe you never cut back because you sacrificed in other ways and letterboxing was too important? Or maybe you have a magic gas card and never felt the impact of $4.00/gallon gas....

So, will you be On the Road Again?

1 comment:

John and Diane said...

I certainly cut down on driving when the gas prices were high. I wouldn't just jump in the car and go to Albuquerque (60 miles away) on a whim (LBing or other). I still try and restrict my driving even though prices are down for the moment. However, we're headed to west Texas on a road trip to see my mom for Thanksgiving - with a stop in Austin this weekend to see Bellmotel. Sorry we're missing you this trip! Happy turkey day!
-D