Friday, December 05, 2008

cold snap

Not been writing on my letterboxing blog as much as my non-letterboxing blog, mainly because we haven't been out letterboxing.

I'm carving a series of Santas that I'd wanted to get out by St. Nicholas' Day, but I'm pretty sure I won't make it as that's today. Since the creative block broke, I've been actively carving for LTCs, postals and traditional boxes. I even got two boxes planted, but we just haven't had much time for finding. I had a stack of clues for Austin, but somehow we didn't get to go out (mainly family obligations).

This morning is our first really cold morning (lets hope it zaps all the mosquitos). This is the conversation with my 7 year old:

"Mom, you said it's 37 degrees out and we need actual coats."
"That's right."
"I think that's too cold. We shouldn't have to go to school today."
"It's not snowing or icing. And did you know that kids in Michigan even have to go to school when it's below zero?"
"Below zero? Really? I'm never living in Michigan."

It's been a sudden drop in temperatures. On Wednesday, December 2nd, everyone wore shorts to school. Today, hats and mittens were required.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Brilliant conversation.

I think I had a pretty much identical chat with my co-workers when I lived in Dallas. Dallas always seemed chronically unprepared for its own weather! (Well, except for the OUTDOOR AIR CONDITIONING AT THE CAFES.)

Anonymous said...

I see you are trying to keep the secret of SNOW DAYS from little man. They actually happen, even in Michigan. MO5