Saturday, November 10, 2007

Art Attack


This is one of my favorite activities of the fall. Today is the annual art show for the studio where my kids take art lessons (after school, not part of the regular curriculum). They feel like such grown-ups, with their art displayed on the walls and on blocks. There's even a reception.

I love their art teacher, an Israeli woman in her 70s who is still spry and animated and eager to share her love of art with kids and adults. She's very infectious, but she also is diligent about teaching them technique.

They get to work in all media--from clay to collage, water color to paper mache. New this year were these amazing Mondrian-like sculptures formed out of styrofoam blocks. They chiseled away at the blocks, creating 3-d sculptures with many facets. Each facet was outlined in black and then painted in bright colors. The overall effect was stunning.

This really doesn't have all that much to do with letterboxing except for the last photo below. My son's print is the top row, second from the right, the sun & moon. This brought back vivid memories of work not happily done. Do you remember carving linoleum blocks in elementary school art? I had such a hard time visualizing the final print. The tools were so foreign and each cut seemed random and not cohesive. I didn't have a sense of where I was going and I was never happy with the results. But now, thanks to all this practice work carving rubber, I think I might like the opportunity to go back and try elementary school art again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning work! I think mushroom hunter is ready to try his hand at carving! What a great way to spend a Saturday. MO5

hoppers said...

kids art, I think watching your children create and be creative almost makes up for the stretchmarks.