Sunday, September 16, 2007

Carving Oz




I've had a lot of fun carving some of the characters from OZ. Above is an image of the Winkie soldiers running away which I just finished. Below are my results so you can compare. I'm not entirely happy with some of the detail, but it's okay. I have a special spot in mind for the Winkie Soldiers, one that illustrates some of the history of Memorial Park.

Many of the OZ illustrations are in the public domain, but some of the characters are hard to find images for. I've pulled out some of our books and searched the Internet. Whoa are there are a ton of OZ-fan sites out there!

I'm concentrating on some of the characters from the books. Some obscure, some less so. I am trying VERY hard not to get carried away, but when I have fun with something, well, that's the whole point.

I also have a special traveler for the event, and I'll go ahead and give the clue. There's a special word that allows the speaker to transmogrify anything (but only if the magic word is pronounced exactly correctly). Originally, only one person knew the word, but later it was discovered by others. Because you'll never pronounce it right, you can go ahead and give me your best try. After you do so, you'll receive the traveler.

No comments: